Benedictine Monastery of Sacramentok

Monastery of the Sacrament Sisters
Rating 8110

13 july 2026Travel time: 2 july 2022
The monastery complex of the Sisters of the Sacraments in Warsaw was founded in 1687 by Queen Marie Casimir d'Arquien, who was given the name Marisenka. It was a vote of gratitude for the victory of her husband, King Jan III Sobieski, over the Turks in Vienna in 1683 and was to become the future mausoleum of the Sobieski family. For this purpose, the ruler purchased from the governor of Nowogró d Adam Kotowski and his wife Mał gorzata a residence on the New Town Square, which was transformed into a church-monastery complex. The adaptation of the palace to the monastery was made in 1688-1698 by the palace designer Tilman Gamerenski. He also built two one-story outbuildings connecting the former palace with the sacristy and the monastery choir, closing the rectangular courtyard with the church. On June 27.1688, the nuns were solemnly transferred from the Royal Castle to their new headquarters in a procession attended by the royal family.
The construction, begun in 1688, was completed, after the death of Tillman, by Augustin Lucci. With the death of John III in 1696 and the departure to France of the founder of the order, Maria Casimir, the first period of splendor of the monastery ends. Deprived of funds, it falls into decline at the beginning of the eighteenth century. However, this community soon became so elite that only representatives of powerful families joined the monastery. Thanks to their dowries, the monastery became significantly richer. In 1740, another, late Baroque building of the monastery was erected on the eastern facade of the New Town Square, founded by the Novogrudok voivode Mykola Faustyn Radziwił ł , probably in connection with the entry of his daughter into the monastery. The author of the project was the Italian architect Antonio Solari. The history of the monastery is also inscribed in the educational activities carried out by the Sacraments. Maria Konopnytska and Eliza Ozheshkova visited the monastery. After the January Uprising, the Russian authorities confiscated the nuns' property and forbade the sisters to accept novices. Only after the restoration of independence, in the 1930s, was a thorough reconstruction of the buildings carried out.
During World War II, the monastery was bombed until a military hospital was opened in the building in August 1944. From that moment on, the church was under fire. During the Warsaw Uprising, the church was completely destroyed. German bombs dropped on August 31 caused the dome and vaults to collapse and broke through to the basements. About a thousand people died under the walls, including wounded rebels, civilians, as well as priests and nuns. In 1947-1952, under the leadership of Maria Zakhvatovichova and the architect-nun Irena (Mikhaela) Valicka, reconstruction was carried out. The temple is a building on the plan of a Greek cross, covered with an octagonal lantern.
Translated automatically from Ukrainian. View original

Comments (0) leave a comment
PLACES NEARBY
QUESTION-ANSWER
No questions