Odeon of Paphos Paphos Odeon, Odeon
The odeon of the city was built in the 2nd century from well-hewn limestone blocks. It has approximately 1200 seats.
The Paphos Odeon was discovered by the Cyprus Department of Antiquities in 1973. After excavations, it was partially restored and is now a semicircle with 12 rows of seats. Today, it is not only an obsolete historical landmark, but also takes part in modern cultural life, providing its arena for musical and theatrical performances. The annual choir festival is also held here.
Near the Odeon are the remains of the Roman Agora, which was in the old market place. Only the foundation and part of the columns survived from it. Also nearby are the ruins of the city walls and a building that was once dedicated to Asklipios, the ancient god of medicine. The modern lighthouse rises next to the Odeon and a rocky mound, once the former city necropolis.