The first church to stand on the site of the current Field Cathedral of the Polish Army was a wooden church of the Piarist Fathers, dating from the mid-17th century. Unfortunately, it burned down during a battle with the Swedes in 1651. A new church was built and consecrated in 1701. Between 1834 and 1919, it was transferred to the Russian Orthodox Church. Thanks to the new owners, the building received, among other things, three additional towers. After 1919, the church returned to Catholic ownership and began to serve as the Cathedral of the Polish Army.→
no comments yet |
leave a comment